SMART Reading is Oregon’s largest volunteer-based nonprofit literacy organization focused on the state’s youngest children. This year, we are celebrating our 30th year of operation, as we continue to expand and innovate in new ways to help kids learn to read. Our basic delivery model is reading engagement and books for kids to keep.
When you join SMART Reading, you join a team that shares your commitment to making this important work happen. Your position as a Program Manager for the Central area will focus on leading a caseload of around 25 SMART Reading program sites; recruiting, training and managing volunteers; creating strong partnerships with schools; and ensuring SMART Reading Program Standards are met.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for supporting children’s literacy, a strong commitment to equity, and strong relationships skills to support volunteer management and school relations.
The Program Manager will be based out of our Bend office, reporting to the Central Area Manager. SMART Reading is committed to supporting our staff with remote work and flexible work options. We know life happens.
Who you are:
● Personal character, which guides the ethical practice of your work.
● Experience working in partnership with communities of color
● Well-organized and adaptable to changing conditions; self-starter and able to prioritize and multi-task across a range of activities
● Ability to recruit supervise, develop and evaluate volunteers and build community partnerships
● Excellent oral and written communication skills
● Ability to represent the program and implement quality improvement and other program changes
● Ability and means to travel to Bend office on a regular basis and Central Oregon SMART sites as needed
● A sense of service and commitment to helping the children of Oregon learn to read
● Bonus: Bilingual, Spanish Speaking ; Bachelor’s Degree
If that’s you, here’s what we can offer:
● A salary in the range of $40K, and a generous benefits package worth $20K.
● Support for remote work, flexible schedules (early or late start) or a compressed work week, while covering “core” hours as necessary.
● A team of equally-committed, passionate and experienced individuals.
● Plenty of opportunity to put your creativity and ideas to good use (We’ve got great systems but we’re always interested in improvement).
● Professional development opportunities, both internal and external to SMART Reading.
● An organizational culture that values team, plays to the strengths of its members, and is tirelessly devoted to serving “our kids” well.
SMART Reading’s Commitment to Equity:
As an early literacy program focused on helping children succeed with reading and learning, SMART Reading can’t ignore that deep racial, cultural, social and economic inequities in our country and state make it harder for some children to succeed compared to others. Our vision is an Oregon in which every child can read and is empowered to succeed, and we are making equity a top priority. As part of this, we particularly seek staff members, volunteers, and board members whose personal or professional background gives them a unique perspective to further SMART Reading’s work in serving children of color and children from other marginalized groups.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be required to travel throughout Oregon, particularly throughout the counties served by this SMART Reading area office (Crook, Deschutes, Grant, Harney, and Jefferson counties).While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to frequently use acomputer at a desk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required for the position.
To read the full position description, click here:
Please provide a resume with a brief cover letter that tells us how you meet our needs, what your experience and commitment is to equity and whether you have bonus skills outlined above.
Please apply at the following link: