Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East – AmeriCorps Construction Crew Leader
Join Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East to serve, gain leadership and work and life skills by helping to revitalize neighborhoods, build affordable and sustainable homes and empower families through successful homeownership. Founded in 1981, our affiliate of distinction has been providing affordable homeownership opportunities for hardworking families for 35 years, in which time we’ve built over 350 homes in partnership with local families. Our team of AmeriCorps members are an integral part of our affiliate, helping us to serve more families and recruit and lead more volunteers through their AmeriCorps service. Benefits beyond the AmeriCorps living allowance and education award include a housing stipend and mileage reimbursement. Members are welcome to attend all affiliate events.
Located in Portland, Oregon’s largest city sits on the Columbia and Willamette rivers, in the shadow of snow-capped Mount Hood. We’re known for our parks, bridges and bicycle paths, as well as for our eco-friendliness, microbreweries and coffeehouses. The city hosts thriving art, theater and music. We hope you’ll consider joining our family to serve with us. For more information about Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East, please visit our website.
Construction Crew Leader
As a Construction Crew Leader, you are integral to our goals of building more homes and better neighborhoods and communities throughout our service area. Your primary responsibility will be to assist with hands-on construction tasks including, but not limited to, site prep, framing, roofing, finish carpentry, landscaping and clean up. Additionally, you will lead small groups of volunteers, providing them with on-site orientations and safety talks and ensuring that they are well-employed while on work sites. On occasion, you may participate in larger community projects or affiliate events.
Please Note: while construction experience is helpful, it is not required.
• 18 years of age or older
• U.S. citizen, national, or lawful permanent resident
• High school diploma or GED equivalent (or agree to work towards one while serving)
• Driver's license
• Ability to be on one’s feet for extended periods of time, often on rough and uneven terrain
• Ability to lift at least 50 lbs. on a regular basis
• Ability to work on ladders and heights of up to two-stories
• Ability to work in varying weather conditions – sites are often not heated during winter and not air-conditioned during summer
• Ability (or willingness to learn) to drive large pick-up trucks
• Experience with power tools
• Experience working with volunteers or teaching/group facilitation experience
Benefits of Service: • AmeriCorps National living allowance of $13,732 (paid over the full 46.5 weeks of full-time service)
• Segal Education Award of $5,920 (upon successful completion of service) – lifetime maximum of 2
• Housing Stipend - $300 month
• Affordable Care Act compliant health care plan (Habitat pays the monthly premiums)
• Student Loan Forbearance (if eligible)
• Child Care Benefits (if eligible)
• 10 personal/sick leave days
• Approx. 10 holidays (dependent on service location)
• Member Assistance Program (MAP) – offers free services, such as counseling and financial planning resources
What’s in it for you?
At the end of the service year, you will recruit and/or manage 500 volunteers in the building, rehabilitation, or repair of homes. You will participate in five (5) community outreach events and Neighborhood Revitalization projects, plus help us complete 29 new builds, 30 Critical Home Repairs, and five (5) rehabs, in direct service of 64 families. Additionally, you will gain enhanced skills in communication, leadership, delegation, team-building time & project management, construction and safety.
What’s needed to apply?
Submit to: www.habitat.org/about/careers/hfh-portlandmetroeast-national-construction-crew-leader by Friday, July 20, 2018, your:
• Resume (tell us about your experience)
• Motivation Statement (express why you want to serve) – input in “Cover Letter” section