Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East - VISTA - ReStore Development
Join Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East to serve, gain leadership and work and life skills by helping to revitalize neighborhoods, build affordable and sustainable homes and empower families through successful homeownership. Founded in 1981, our affiliate of distinction has been providing affordable homeownership opportunities for hardworking families for 35 years, in which time we’ve built over 350 homes in partnership with local families.
Our team of AmeriCorps members are an integral part of our affiliate, helping us to serve more families and recruit and lead more volunteers through their AmeriCorps service. Benefits beyond the AmeriCorps living allowance and education award include a housing stipend and mileage reimbursement. Also, members are welcome to all affiliate events.
Located in Portland, Oregon’s largest city sits on the Columbia and Willamette rivers, in the shadow of snow-capped Mount Hood. We’re known for our parks, bridges and bicycle paths, as well as for our eco-friendliness, microbreweries and coffeehouses. The city hosts thriving art, theater and music. We hope you’ll consider joining our family to serve with us.
For more information about Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East, please visit our website.
ReStore Development As a ReStore Development VISTA, you will work towards the following goals: (1) develop, implement and document a volunteer training and retention program for the ReStore, (2) develop, implement, and document sustainable marketing and outreach strategies, that ultimately contribute towards an increase in unrestricted revenue from increased numbers of store purchases and donations, and (3) research and implement best practices for standard ReStore operating policies and procedures, (4) create and manage social media accounts specific to the volunteer department, including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, (5) increase collaboration between ReStores and the three supported affiliates, and (6) develop a volunteer roundtable program to solicit feedback from volunteers on a regular basis.
• 18 years of age or older
• U.S. citizen, national, or lawful permanent resident
• High school diploma or GED equivalent (or agree to work towards one while serving)
• Driver's license
• Personal vehicle
• Microsoft Office Suite (especially Word/Excel)
• Retail experience
• Project management experience
• Marketing experience
• Social media experience
• Experience working with volunteers or volunteering, desire to work in volunteer management
Benefits of Service:
For more information about these benefits (excluding MAP), please visit the VISTA Campus.
• AmeriCorps VISTA living allowance of $14,136.45 (paid over the 1 year of full-time service) – determined by geographic area
• Segal Education Award of $5,920 (lifetime maximum of 2) OR end-of-service cash stipend of $1,800 – both are dependent on successful completion of service
• Healthcare Allowance – a reimbursement program that covers some out-of-pocket, non-premium costs, up to $7,150, associated with healthcare. Please note: this is not a healthcare insurance plan; if you do not have healthcare coverage, you have 60 days from your service start date to sign-up for healthcare coverage through the Marketplace.
• Housing Stipend - $300 month
• Child Care Benefits (if eligible)
• Relocation Travel Allowance up to $1,000 & Settling In Allowance of $550 (if eligible)
• Student Loan Forbearance (if eligible)
• 10 personal and 10 sick leave days
• Approx. 10 holidays (dependent on service location)
• Non-Competitive Eligibility (NCE) Status – upon successfully completing service, you will receive one year of NCE for employment in the federal government. Please note: this does not guarantee you a federal job.
• Member Assistance Program (MAP) – offers free services, such as counseling and financial planning resources
What’s in it for you?
At the end of the service year, you will collaborate with 20 teammates in the development of five (5) systems/processes/tools focused on that you created and/or enhanced. You also will manage one (1) project enabling us to increase capacity in the service of more families and communities. Additionally, you will gain enhanced skills in communication, leadership, delegation, team-building time and project management, construction and safety.
What’s needed to apply?
Submit to: https://www.habitat.org/about/careers/hfh-portlandmetroeast-vista-restore-development by Friday, July 20, 2018, your:
• Resume (tell us about your experience)
• Motivation Statement (express why you want to serve) – input in “Cover Letter” section