Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East - AmeriCorps Family Services Coordinator
Join Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East to serve, gain leadership and work and life skills by helping to revitalize neighborhoods, build affordable and sustainable homes and empower families through successful homeownership. Founded in 1981, our affiliate of distinction has been providing affordable homeownership opportunities for hardworking families for 35 years, in which time we’ve built over 350 homes in partnership with local families.
Our team of AmeriCorps members are an integral part of our affiliate, helping us to serve more families and recruit and lead more volunteers through their AmeriCorps service. Benefits beyond the AmeriCorps living allowance and education award include a housing stipend and mileage reimbursement. Also, members are welcome to all affiliate events.
Located in Portland, Oregon’s largest city sits on the Columbia and Willamette rivers, in the shadow of snow-capped Mount Hood. We’re known for our parks, bridges and bicycle paths, as well as for our eco-friendliness, microbreweries and coffeehouses. The city hosts thriving art, theater and music. We hope you’ll consider joining our family to serve with us.
For more information about Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East, please visit our website.
Family Services Coordinator As a Family Services Coordinator, you will help our affiliate engage more partner families in the construction of simple, decent and affordable homes in our community. This member position will build and maintain the pipeline of Habitat homebuyers by helping to recruit qualified potential homebuyers, helping them meet our program requirements and helping provide support to existing Habitat homeowners. Some of your responsibilities include: Responding to inquiries from potential applicants regarding the selection process and homeownership program and helping coordinate the homeowner education program for future and current Habitat homeowners, including schedule of trainings, location of classes, and coordination of guest presenters.
• 18 years of age or older
• U.S. citizen, national, or lawful permanent resident
• High school diploma or GED equivalent (or agree to work towards one while serving)
• Driver's license
• Personal vehicle
• Microsoft Office Suite (especially Word/Excel)
• Ability to work a Tuesday-Saturday schedule 1-2 times a month
• A second language is highly desirable, with preferred languages being Spanish, Arabic, Vietnamese, or Somali
• Ability to work with a diverse group of people
• Detail oriented and highly organized
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Experience working with volunteers or teaching/group facilitation experience
• Public speaking experience
Benefits of Service:
• AmeriCorps National living allowance of $13,732 (paid over the full 46.5 weeks of full-time service)
• Segal Education Award of $5,920 (upon successful completion of service) – lifetime maximum of 2
• Housing Stipend - $300 month
• Affordable Care Act compliant health care plan (Habitat pays the monthly premiums)
• Student Loan Forbearance (if eligible)
• Child Care Benefits (if eligible)
• 10 personal/sick leave days
• Approx. 10 holidays (dependent on service location)
• Member Assistance Program (MAP) – offers free services, such as counseling and financial planning resources
What’s in it for you?
At the end of the service year, you will help us in the identification, recruitment, orientation and counseling of qualified families for homeownership and home repair projects. Your efforts will help us serve up to 30 individuals. On occasion, you will build alongside homeowner families as they complete their sweat equity requirements. Additionally, you will gain enhanced skills in communication, leadership, delegation, team-building time & project management, construction and safety.
What’s needed to apply?
Submit to: http://stage.habitat.org/about/careers/hfh-portlandmetroeast-national-family-services-coordinator by Friday, July 20, 2018, your:
• Resume (tell us about your experience)
• Motivation Statement (express why you want to serve) – input in “Cover Letter” section